Monday, March 31, 2008
Friday, February 08, 2008
After making these drawings, first using ink alone and subsequently using pencil and going over with ink, I realise that just trying to reproduce its likeness is tedious enough, I can imagine how much work must have gone into making this tiny bead out of gold.
Sunday, January 27, 2008
Monday, December 24, 2007
Saturday, December 08, 2007
Saturday, December 01, 2007
Wednesday, November 07, 2007
Saturday, November 03, 2007
Monday, October 22, 2007
Wednesday, October 17, 2007
Tuesday, October 16, 2007
This last drawing was made using pencil. I seldom draw using pencils as ink is my preferred medium. Having done this, I can see that I am lacking in skill where shading and tones are concerned. Nevertheless I enjoyed this exercise as I had the advantage of correcting the drawing till I am satisfied. Ink drawings are less forgiving and I have to be very careful there.
Reference for Plain Tiger Butterfly.
Most recent butterfly drawings on 19 Oct 2007 - the first was drawn from a photo taken of a photo exhibit at the Singapore Botanic Gardens on Butterflies. The second was referenced from a photo from those taken at East Coast Park near the MacDonalds.
Black Veined Tiger ButterflyPlain Tiger Butterfly
Monday, October 01, 2007
Today, I managed to salvage the bracts of the heliconia flower by loading on generous amounts of Cadmium yellow. I want the flower to be more vibrant, less 2-D and worthy of the background that I had painted at the start of my labour. I discovered that I was hindered in my progress partly because I had wanted to duplicate the colours exactly resulting in over-mixing colours. So I decided that getting the exact colours should take a back seat while I concentrate on the tones and how to make the flower come alive.
After about two hours working on this painting I think I have managed to break away from the stalemate. To be continued...Today has been a relatively good day because for one I picked up my brushes and painted after so long.
Thursday, August 23, 2007
But I continued to labour over it to give it more life and dimension. In the process I hurt my eye doing this painting (too embarrassing to relate the story) and muddied up the colours. It is not finished, I say.
Wednesday, June 06, 2007
After I painted Shrek, my daughter came and took a look at it. She declared that it was scary compared with the real Shrek. Okay, he was more green than he should be and not as friendly looking, that I agree. My daughter also observed that my Shrek's face was more oval than square in shape and that made me more aware that in painting people, I should establish the face shape right from the beginning. I did not and that was a mistake.
Next, I painted the donkey. This was easier to paint and was an improvement over the painting of Shrek. After that was done, I realised that I did not have enough space for the cat. I thought of leaving it out. Instead, I tilted it to the left and it turned out to be the best painting of the three.
I like to think that Shrek was the warming up exercise, Donkey was the fun character that made me more relaxed at painting and the cat was the challenge to myself that I had to get it right and I did. When my kids saw the finished painting, they thought it was cool though the characters, especially Shrek, did not resemble the original. I had fun, that was cool for me. Don't know what to do with the painting. Maybe put it up on Yahoo Auctions. My daughter advised against that as she said it would be very sad for me if no one wanted to buy it. Doesn't matter, this exericise gave us something to talk about in a fun way today.